Change Road Name

The process for changing a road name in Wake County varies with the type of road and where it is located.  

If the road is in a city or town's planning jurisdiction, contact the city or town's Planning Department for assistance. Contact us at if the road is in the unincorporated area of Wake County.

See the Public and Private Streets page to determine the location and whether the road is public or private. 

Public Roads

Public road name changes require a public hearing at a Wake County Board of Commissioners meeting. The person requesting it must own property along the road, and a majority of the property owners must agree to the change.  

Contact us at for details. 

Private Roads

Private road name changes require the agreement of the property owners. No public hearing is needed. 

Contact us at for details.