Have you ever wondered what happens to your trash when it leaves the curb? Collection day is the first day in a long life for your trash. Join staff on a FREE tour of the South Wake Landfill to find out how Wake County Waste Management Division safeguards the environment and public health by safely disposing of over 1.1 million people's garbage. On the tour, you will also learn:
- How Wake County is using household trash to make energy
- Where you can recycle additional items, not picked up at the curb
- Where to dispose of harmful household items safely
- How to reduce waste at home, school or work
You will be accompanied by an environmental educator on a riding tour of South Wake Solid Waste Management Facilities in Apex, NC. Public tours depart promptly at 9:30 a.m., and last approx. 90 minutes. To register for a public landfill tour click on a date below:
- Saturday, June 10, 2023
- Wednesday, September 13, 2023
- Saturday, October 14, 2023
- Wednesday, November 15, 2023
- Participants must be 8 years or older by the date of the tour (no exceptions).
- Seating is limited. In the event the tour is fully booked there is a waitlist.
- If you cannot make the tour, please cancel your seat, so that waitlisted people can be added.
Private Group Tours
Your group will be accompanied by an environmental educator on a riding tour of South Wake Solid Waste Management Facilities in Apex, NC. A minimum of 10 participants are required to schedule a group tour. Group tours are available by request to all organizations that operate within Wake County. Group tours can be requested Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. and last approximately 90 minutes. To request a group tour, fill out and submit this request form.
- Participants must be aged 8 years or older by the date of the tour (no exceptions).
- Group transportation is required to take a private group tour. Group transportation is available for up to 14 passengers, at no cost. If your group is larger, you must arrange group transportation at your own expense. Personal vehicle convoys are not permitted beyond landfill gates for safety reasons.
Tour the South Wake Landfill via drone, from the comfort of your own couch. Our virtual landfill tour is environmental educator led and lasts 30 minutes. Virtual tours use Microsoft Teams to meet. If your organization hosts its own online meetings, we will join other online platforms, such as Zoom, Google Meets, Webex etc.
Virtual landfill tours are intended for groups with at least 10 participants in the targeted age range of 8 years or older. Virtual tours can be requested Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Participants will need internet access and a computer, tablet or smart phone to join the virtual tour. To request a virtual tour, fill out and submit this request form.
"Since taking a tour of Wake County waste facilities and the landfill I've become more knowledgeable and environmentally conscious about my consuming habits"
– Kenice, Raleigh.
Program Coordinator: Sara Davarbakhsh