Sedimentation and Erosion Control

Wake County operates an erosion prevention program that aims to prevent sediment from leaving a construction site and contaminating Wake County's natural environment. We accomplish this by enforcing state and local erosion prevention regulations and by working with developers, builders and landowners in Wake County.

Wake County manages erosion control for all unincorporated areas of the County and the following municipalities: Garner, Knightdale, Morrisville, Rolesville, Wendell and Zebulon.


The NCG01 Permit is no longer issued concurrently with the County's Land Disturbance Permit. Once you have received approval from the County for your land disturbance, you will submit online to NC DEQ for NCG01 coverage through NCDEQ's Portal. Then you will provide proof of coverage back to Wake County prior to permit issuance.

Wake County has been working with the State to create standard permit language and details to ensure our permits are consistent with the NCG01.

How to Streamline Your Construction Submittals

If you submit erosion control and stormwater management plans to Wake County and want to understand how we review those submittals and therefore streamline your permit review process, watch the video below. Wake County Environmental Engineer Supervisor Barney Blackburn, PE, CPESC, CPSWQ, provides guidance on erosion and sediment control, stormwater management and floodplain construction plan submittals to Wake County and our municipal partner jurisdictions. Check out also the presentation.

Click the button below to review details of the Erosion Control Permitting and Plan approval process along with other specifications, requirements and details. Wake County requires at minimum the use of these in approved plans.

Design and Permitting

Residential Lot Erosion Control

Residential Lot Erosion Control Requirements

All builders and developers disturbing land in a subdivision (common plan of development) are required to have a land disturbance permit, even if the disturbance is less than 1 acre.

Builders outside a subdivision shall obtain a permit if disturbance is greater than 1 acre.  

Sediment and Erosion Control Standard Details

The Wake County Sedimentation and Erosion Control standard drawings illustrate minimum acceptable standards for land development, disturbing or erosion control activities authorized under the development regulations of Wake County; however, these standards shall not supersede more restrictive prudent design requirements or good engineering practices as applied to specific situations on a case-by-case basis.

Click here for Wake County Erosion and Sediment Control Standard Details


Local Rules

Wake County Unified Development Ordinance

Wake County's erosion control regulations may be found in Article 10 of the Wake County Unified Development Ordinance. These regulations establish sediment and erosion control requirements for new development. 

Wake County administers erosion control regulations for all unincorporated area as well as sic municipalities through interlocal agreements: Garner, Knightdale, Morrisville, Wendell, Rolesville and Zebulon.

State Rules - SPCA

Wake County is delegated by the State of NC to operate a local erosion control program. The overall goal of the Sedimentation Pollution Control Act (SPCA) and the NC Administrative Code (Code) Title 15 Chapter 4, is to prevent visible sedimentation into lakes, streams, natural watercourses, and onto adjoining properties. The SPCA outlines the regulatory requirements and gives authority to the Sedimentation Control Commission (SCC) and the Land Quality Section (LQS). The Code provides the administrative overview of how the SCC and LQS enforce the SPCA.

Sedimentation Pollution Control Act of 1973

Title 15A Chapter 4: Sediment Control

To report sediment problems to the State, contact the appropriate DEQ - DEMLR - Regional Office that serves your area or use the Division of Energy, Mineral and Land Resources' toll-free hotline, 1-866-STOPMUD.

Federal Rules - EPA