Report Child Abuse and Neglect

All adults in North Carolina are required to report suspected child abuse and neglect.

Reporting Suspected Abuse or Neglect 

If you suspect abuse or neglect of a child, you are required to report it to your county office of social services.  North Carolina's law applies to every person and every institution in the state. 

Child Abuse & Neglect – What are the Warning Signs

How To Report Child Abuse & Neglect

How Do I Know if a Child is Being Abused or Neglected?

You do not need proof that a child is being abused or neglected.  You need only a reasonable suspicion that abuse or neglect occurred. 


Child Abuse or Neglect Reporting is Available 24/7

Report suspected child abuse or neglect in Wake County 

919-212-7990 (English) 
919-212-7963 (Espanol)  

Business Hours 
Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m. 

After regular business hours, weekends, and on holidays, call 911 and say you wish to make a CPS report. The 911 operator will contact an after-hours social worker who will return your call.  

What Happens After I Make a Report?

If the information you provide meets criteria under the state abuse and neglect law, a social worker will conduct an in-person assessment of the child and his/her family, along with other people who have information about the child.  This assessment will determine if abuse or neglect is found, ensure safety of the child, and coordinate supportive services for the child and family. 

A written notice of whether the report meets criteria under state law is mailed to the person making the report within five days.  A reporter who disagrees with the decision can request a review of the decision by a Supervisor and/or can make another report if additional information becomes available. If you are still not satisfied with the outcome after contacting the CPS Supervisor, you may contact the Director using: 
The Online Complaint Form  


Call: 919-212-7155 

If you are still not satisfied with the decision of the Director, contact the Child Welfare Policy Consultation Team within the North Carolina Division of Social Services, and Administrative Support staff will direct your call to the next available consultant. 

Call: 919-527-6340