Health & Human Services Internships

Health & Human Services partners with many colleges and universities to offer unpaid internships to students working toward degrees in a variety of professional disciplines, including social work, nursing, public health, pharmacy, allied health and dental professions. 

Internships require that students are currently enrolled in an academic institution and involve the completion of specified number of hours of specific experience to receive academic credit that leads to a degree in the student’s chosen field of study. The intern must be under the direction of an appropriately credentialed professional who completes an evaluation of that student for the student’s coursework credit. 

Most interns are placed through ongoing agreements with local colleges and universities. Students are encouraged to contact their college or university's field placement coordinator in their field of study first when seeking a placement site. The university representative can then explore the possibility of the placement with Wake County Health & Human Services. A college or university must complete a contract with Wake County Government in order to place students in our agency. 

Learn more about Health & Human Services Internships

Partner Institutions

Health & Human Services prioritizes internship placement requests that are received from NC-based schools with which we have a formal affiliation agreement. If we are unable to fill all available slots, then we will consider requests from other NC-based schools. We generally do not accept requests from institutions based outside of NC. 

Our current affiliation agreements include: 

  • Barton College – Nursing and Social Work 
  • Campbell University – School of Health Sciences 
  • Duke University – Physicians Assistant and Nursing 
  • Durham Technical Community College – Pharmacy Technology 
  • East Carolina University – School of Social Work and School of Health Sciences 
  • Meredith College – Public Health Education and Dietetics 
  • NC Central University – Social Work and Nutrition 
  • NC Central University – Criminal Justice 
  • NC State University – Social Work (BSW and MSW programs) 
  • Shaw University – Social Work 
  • St. Augustine University - Science, Mathematics & Public Health 
  • UNC-Wilmington – Nursing, Social Work, Rec. Therapy, Gerontology and Community Health Education 
  • UNC-Chapel Hill – Public Health, Nursing, Dental School, Pharmacy and Social Work 
  • Wake Technical Community College – School of Health Sciences 

Students who are currently attending the programs listed above should contact the placement coordinator at their school to request a placement with Wake County Health & Human Services.  

Students who are currently enrolled at an institution not listed above may still inquire about available slots by completing an Internship Placement Request Inquiry Form

Due to the volume of requests that are received and capacity limitations, not every request can be accommodated. 

Important Dates

Internship Semester Request Deadline  WCHS will Confirm by​  Student Document Submission Due
Summer February 1 March 1 April 25
Fall April 15 May 15 July 25
Spring September 15 October 25 November 25


Contact Us

If you have questions or feedback about Academic Internships, please feel free to contact us by telephone or, email: 

Denise Kissel, Volunteer and University Relations Coordinator 
Phone: 919-212-7083 
Fax: 919-231-5716 

Wake County Health & Human Services  
P.O. Box 46833  
Raleigh, NC 27620