Code Enforcement

old tires and junk are a violation of Wake County codes
Wake County enforces ordinances against junk

Wake County Code Enforcement staff respond to building code, zoning and environmental health violations ONLY in unincorporated areas of the county.

Each municipality addresses code enforcement within its respective municipal boundaries. To find out which jurisdiction to contact, visit IMAPS.

Municipal Code Enforcement Contacts

Apex 919-249-3418

Cary 919-469-4046

Fuquay-Varina 919-552-1433

Garner 919-773-4433

Holly Springs 919-557-3908

Knightdale 919-217-2248

Morrisville 919-463-6180

Raleigh 919-996-2444

Rolesville 919-554-6517

Wake Forest 919-435-9510

Wendell 919-365-4448

Zebulon 919- 823-1810

Use the Complaint Form for the following types of complaints:

  • If someone is doing construction without a permit.
  • If someone is operating an illegal commercial business in a residential area.
  • If a building is unsafe due to a leaking roof, unsecured dwelling, structural damage or fire.
  • If someone is dumping hazardous waste like motor oil.
  • If there is outdoor storage or illegal dumping of solid waste like trash, broken furniture, pallets or used tires.
  • If you see conditions promoting the breeding of mosquitos, like an abandoned swimming pool or other stagnant water.
  • If there is a strong sewer odor or wastewater discharging onto the surface of the ground.

If you do not receive a confirmation email after submitting a complaint form, please call Code Enforcement directly at 919-856-2613

Tips on Other Issues

Use of firearms

Before discharging a firearm in unincorporated Wake County, residents should become familiar with these guidelines from the Wake County Firearms Ordinance.


Wake County does not inspect or regulate mold. For rental properties, this is more of a civil matter between the tenant and the landlord. You may also contact NC Division of Air Quality to seek assistance in this matter.

Tall grass

Wake County does not regulate noxious weeds or tall grass. We recommend contacting your homeowner’s association if you have one.

Abandoning a private well

To permanently abandon a private well please consult the county’s guidelines for proper abandonment procedures

Sewer odor

If there is a strong sewer odor or wastewater discharging onto the surface of the ground, chances are that a septic system has malfunctioned. You may submit a septic system complaint/report using the webform on the Septic & Wastewater Management page.