Thank you for your interest in the Wake County Animal Center Volunteer Program!
The program is on a mini hiatus for a much-needed overhaul, but we plan to be open and back in action in January 2024! You can still submit an application, which will be responded to as soon as we reopen the program. Thank you so much for your patience and willingness to help our homeless animals, we look forward to having you join our awesome team soon! If you have any questions, please email Danyea at Danyea.firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
RAIN, SNOW OR SHINE – Our volunteers are here to help MAKE A DIFFERENCE for the homeless pets in our community!
Do you love animals, but having a pet of your own just isn't in the cards right now? Or, maybe you want to help less fortunate pets in the community? Sign up to be a volunteer!
Volunteerism is an integral part of the Wake County Animal Center and enables us to make a difference in the lives of tens of thousands of homeless pets each year. We could not exist without the time, efforts and expertise each of our volunteers commit to giving and we're always looking for responsible and enthusiastic animal-lovers to join our group of dedicated and compassionate volunteers.
We offer a variety of roles and assignments – so no matter your goals (or limitations), you have a way to impact the shelter and help homeless pets find their forever homes. You can volunteer in many different assignments or become an expert in one particular role. All it takes is some free time, a little bit of training and a natural talent for helping others!
Our Volunteer Program encompasses all aspects of the shelter:
- Direct animal care through cleaning, cuddling, walking and enrichment
- Adoption assistance through picture-taking, grooming, training and matchmaking
- Overall shelter support through data entry, marketing, fundraising, attending events and more!
Our volunteers are self-motivated, mature and dependable. If you are interested in joining our Volunteer Program, below is a list of questions that you should ask yourself to make sure that volunteering with us is a good fit for you:
- Do you meet the necessary Essential Capabilities needed to safely volunteer with us?
- Are you over the age of eighteen? Eighteen is the minimum age to volunteer with us and there are no exceptions to this rule.
- Are you able to make at least a six-month commitment to regularly volunteer at least six hours a month? Due to the nature of our organization and the safety protocols we have, there are required orientations, trainings, waivers and more that are needed before anyone can volunteer with us. This makes it impossible for us to accommodate minors or single day / short term volunteerism.
If you have any questions regarding our Volunteer Program, please check our our Frequently Asked Questions.
If you are ready to become a volunteer, please fill out a Volunteer Application. Our Volunteer Coordinator will then reach out to you with more information to get you started on your volunteer journey with the Wake County Animal Center. We are excited to meet you!