Cancellation of Registration

Cancel YOUR Voter Registration

There are several ways to cancel your own Wake County voter registration:

  1. When you register to vote in a new county or state, you can complete the "Previous Voter Registration" section of the registration form. That county or state will notify Wake County that you have moved, and we will then cancel your Wake County registration.
  2. Complete the back of your voter card with the new address and county information and send the voter card to the Wake County Board of Elections. 
  3. Complete the Cancellation form and send it to the Board of Elections office.

Cancellation Form 

Cancel ANOTHER Person's Voter Registration

The only time a person is authorized to cancel the registration of another person is when the voter is a near relative cancelling the registration of a deceased family member. 

A near relative is defined as a spouse, sibling, parent, stepparent, grandparent, child, stepchild, grandchild, mother-in-law, father-in-law, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, verifiable legal guardian, or representative of the estate.

If your deceased relative is still registered to vote in Wake County you may:

  1. Print and complete the Notice of Deceased Voter form below. This form is also available at all Wake County polling places and early voting locations.
  2. Send it to the Board of Elections office. 

Notice of Deceased Voter Form 

Wake County receives reports from the Department of Health and Human Services and Register of Deeds offices to help keep our records as current as possible.