What are the eligibility requirements for registering to vote in Wake County?
- You must be a United States citizen.
- You must be 18 years old or will be at the time of the next general election.
- You must be a resident of Wake County, North Carolina, for 30 days before the election in which you intend to vote.
- You must not vote in any other county or state after submitting a voter registration application in Wake County. If registered elsewhere, you understand that you are canceling that registration upon becoming registered to vote in Wake County.
- You must not be serving a felony sentence, including any period of probation, post-release supervision, or parole.
NC DMV Customer Online Voter Registration
If you are a DMV customer with a N.C. driver’s license or DMV-issued ID, you may now register to vote or change certain parts of your registration online. Using this service existing DMV customers may:
- register to vote
- update their voter registration address
- update their party affiliation
- They may NOT change their name
This is a standalone service that does not require the user to complete a DMV transaction (such as duplicate or license renewal) at the same time. There is no fee for voter registration services.
Voter registration applications submitted fewer than 25 days before an election will not be processed until after the election. You may still register to vote in person using same-day registration in your county during the early voting period.
Voter Photo ID
For a full list of acceptable forms of identification for voting in North Carolina, visit NCSBE.gov
Registered Wake County voters who do not already have an acceptable form of identification for voting purposes may obtain a free photo ID card at the DMV or the Board of Elections Operations Center.
|Board of Elections Operations Center|
|Office Address||1200 N. New Hope Rd.
Raleigh, NC 27610
Registered Wake County voters interested in obtaining an ID from our office can visit in-person Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 5:15 PM. No special documents are needed. Voters will simply provide their name, date of birth, and the last four digits of their Social Security number, and have their photo taken.