Get a Trade Permit

Trade Permits are available to anyone who must obtain a plumbing, electrical or mechanical permit. Trade permits provide for the permitting and inspection for projects with single or multiple trades, when a building permit is not required. 

To apply for a trade permit, you will need to submit:

  • A completed application using the Wake County Permit Portal.
  • List all trade contractors under "Contacts" in the Permit Portal application.
  • Provide a complete description of work for the permit, including location where work will be performed.
  • Please provide the following information for mechanical and water heater installations and change-outs:
    • Type of appliance to be installed or replaced. List if the appliance is gas or electric.
    • Location of the appliance: exterior, crawlspace, attic or basement.
    • List the areas of the structure that the appliance will service - basement, first, second or third floor.


If the property is served by a septic system (i.e., an onsite wastewater system) and the trade permit will involve trenching, a scaled site plan will be required demonstrating the location of the proposed trenching. The site plan is required to verify the trenching does not impact and maintains the required setbacks from the current wastewater system, its repair area, and any on-site wells.

Further information regarding requirements may be obtained from: 

Health & Human Services-Onsite Water Protection
 919-856-7434  or
Groundwater/Well:    919-856-7400

Trade Permit Fees

Residential Trade permit fee is $75. The $75 permit fee is a single permit fee for electrical, mechanical and plumbing regardless of number of trades involved. Electrical pole fee is included in the $75 trade fee. 

Commercial Trade permit fees are based on the project cost for each trade. Commercial Permit Fee Schedule