Comprehensive Plan Amendments



Comprehensive Plan Amendments, formerly known as Land Use Plan Amendments (LUPA), may be initiated by the Planning Director or through a directive to the Planning Director from the Board of Commissioners.

Plan Amendments may also be initiated by an owner of property in Wake County as part of a rezoning petition to the Planning staff. Anyone seeking a Comprehensive Plan Amendment is strongly encouraged to contact planning staff prior to applying. 

Comprehensive Plan Amendment Checklist


Staff Review

The amendment request is reviewed for consistency with the Comprehensive Plan and in relation to other public interest issues. Please note: Plan amendments will be evaluated according to the newly adopted Comprehensive Plan - PLANWake - as well as any relevant area plans. Planning staff will post notice of the petition/proposal at the site and mail the owners of properties adjoining the site notice of the proposed amendment and the upcoming Planning Board meeting at which it is expected to be reviewed.


Planning Board Review

Unlike rezoning petitions, Comprehensive Plan Amendments go before the Planning Board Land Use Committee prior to being presented to the full Planning Board. This step may add extra time to the process for a proposed rezoning if both actions are being requested.

The Planning Board hears presentations of the staff report, comments from the petitioner and comments from other interested parties. The Planning Board then discusses the petition/proposal and decides to recommend its approval or denial.


Board of Commissioner Action

Properties adjoining the site will receive a letter about the upcoming Board of Commissioners’ meeting and instructions on how to comment. A notice of the public hearing is also published in the local newspaper.

Meeting materials are published on the County website or may be obtained by calling the Planning Office.