Wake County Sheriff's Office | Willie L. Rowe, Sheriff

Concealed Carry Handgun Permits

**BY APPOINTMENT ONLY** Hours of operation:

  • New Applicants: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday–Friday
  • Renewal Applicants: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday–Friday
  • Duplicate & Address Changes: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday–Friday (walk-ins accepted)

At the time of submitting the application, the applicant must:

  • Be 21 years of age or older
  • Be a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident alien
  • Be a resident of North Carolina for 30 days preceding the filing of the application
  • Be a resident of Wake County
  • Not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that would prevent the safe handling of a handgun
  • Not have any of the prohibitions listed in NCGS 14-415.12(b) or Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.), 922

At the time of application, the applicant must present:

  • The original certificate of completion from a certified course adopted by the Criminal Justice Education Training Standards Commission (919-661-5980). Note: A certificate is not required for renewals.
  • Valid photographic identification and proof of residence (NC Driver's License or ID card displaying your current residential address).
  • Military personnel must bring form DD-214 (discharged).
  • Naturalized citizens must bring your Naturalization Certificate or a valid U.S. Passport
  • U.S. citizens born outside of the U.S.A. to U.S. parent(s) must bring your documentation from the Department of State (Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Citizenship, or Certification of Report of Birth).
  • Lawful permanent resident aliens must bring a valid US Permanent Resident Card (USCIS I-551).
  • If you are a sworn law enforcement officer, retired probation or parole, former sworn law enforcement officer, retired correctional officer, current correctional officer, or current state probation or parole certified officer and are seeking exemption from the firearms safety and training course requirement under NCGS 14-415.12(a), please contact our office at 919-856-6949. There are additional items required to be granted this exemption.


Initial Application Fee: $90

Renewal Fee: $75

Duplicate Fee: $15

To begin the application process for a concealed handgun permit you may complete the application online:

ONLINE: Complete application & pay applicable fees.

Begin a new permit or renew a permit here.

Applicable fee per permit (Cash, Credit or Debit), non-refundable

Five US dollars ($5.00) plus a credit card convenience fee, non-refundable

Duplicate fees will NOT be available for online payment .

*Note: No portion of the convenience fee is received by the Wake County Sheriff’s Office


Once you have completed the Concealed Handgun Permit application process, a fingerprint technician is on duty at the Public Safety Center to take fingerprints only for Concealed Carry Handgun Permit applicants.

*Note: Fingerprints may be required when renewing your permit.

Fingerprint Hours at John H. Baker Jr. Public Safety Center

8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Concealed Carry Handgun Permit applicants only.

Applicants who have completed the online application and made an appointment will receive priority.

*Note: Fingerprint fee is $10; however, it is included in the above application fee.

Duplicate cards and change-of-address procedure for Concealed Handgun Permits in Wake County

Duplicate Carry Concealed Handgun Permits requests and change-of-address notifications must be made in person, Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. The Wake County Sheriff’s Office is located at 330 S. Salisbury St., in downtown Raleigh.

Duplicate card requests:

If you have lost or damaged your Carry Concealed Handgun Permit, we can order a duplicate card. The fee for a duplicate permit is $15, payable by cash, check or money order. You must appear in person and show proper identification when making a request for a duplicate card. The Wake County Sheriff’s Office can only provide this service for Wake County Carry Concealed Handgun Permits. If your permit was issued by another county, you must contact the issuing county to order a duplicate card.

Change of address for Carry Concealed Handgun Permits:

Any time you have a change of residence, you must notify the Sheriff’s Office within 30 days of the change of address. You must appear in person to complete a change-of-address form and provide proof of residence and show proper identification. Upon meeting the requirements for a change of address you will be given a change of address card, which indicates that you have made notification of your address change. You must carry this card in addition to your current concealed handgun permit. There is no fee for a change of address. Please notify NCDMV first and update your driver’s license or state ID card.

Please note: The Wake County Sheriff’s Office can provide change of address services only to Wake County Carried Concealed Handgun Permits. If you are changing your address from another county to Wake County, you must first contact the county that issued your permit to make any address changes.

For additional information, please call 919-856-6949.

What if I am denied my concealed handgun permit request?

If your concealed handgun permit request is denied, you will be notified in writing or via email as to why it was denied.

What do I do if my concealed handgun permit is denied?

If your concealed handgun permit is denied, you may appeal the decision to the Chief District Court Judge of Wake County.

How do I appeal my denied request my concealed handgun permit?

  • North Carolina General Statute 14-415.15(c) provides that when an individual has been denied a concealed handgun permit or had a concealed handgun permit revoked or a nonrenewal of a concealed handgun permit by the Sheriff, the individual has the right to appeal the denial/revocation/nonrenewal.
    • The individual may appeal the decision by submitting a written or typed petition (statement) to a District Court Judge setting forth the reasons for appeal.
    • The petition along with a copy of the Sheriff’s notice of denial/revocation/nonrenewal must be submitted with a filing fee of $150 (personal checks will not be accepted) to the Clerk of Superior Court, Civil Division, Wake County Courthouse located at 316 Fayetteville Street, Raleigh.
    • Generally appeals of denial/revocation/nonrenewal of concealed handgun permits are considered by a District Court Judge without hearing. The District Court Judge will notify the individual of his/her decision in writing.

Wake County Firearms Ordinance

 Wake County Firearms Ordinance