Become part of the Wake County Sheriff’s Office team! We are seeking qualified applicants for various positions, including Detention Officer and Deputy Sheriff. If you have a high level of dedication and commitment to the citizens of Wake County, you should consider employment with this agency.
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Medical Coverage
- Leave Benefits
- Annual and Sick Leave
- Paid Parental Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Community Involvement Leave
- Retirement Plan with 401(k)
- Salary Incentives for
- Secondary Education
- Prior Experience
- Military Service
- Foreign Language Fluency
Our team has various levels of employment opportunities. Detention Officers and Deputy Sheriffs make up most of our staff; however, we occasionally have open positions in careers such as Detention Services Nurse, Telecommunicator, Customer Service Representatives, and Information Technology Technicians.
Requirements for Deputy and Detention Officers
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Must pass reading test and a physical fitness assessment. Click here to view the physical fitness requirements.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Cannot be charged or convicted of a felony
- Cannot be charged with a serious misdemeanor (Class B) within the past 5 years or have a total of 4 or more misdemeanor charges
- Undergo an extensive background check including a physical fitness assessment, reading test, medical exam, drug screen and psychological examination.
If you have questions, or wish to apply for employment you may reach a member of the recruiting staff by calling our recruiting office at 919-856-6983, emailing Sheriff.Recruiting@wake.gov or by visiting us at the Public Safety Center Building, at 330 S. Salisbury St., Raleigh, NC 27601.
For a listing of current employment opportunities, please go to employment opportunities.