Animal Control

In response to a recent outbreak of canine influenza, all five Animal Control agencies across county (Wake County, Raleigh, Cary, Garner and Holly Springs) will continue responding to emergency animal calls, however, they will not be picking up strays or owner surrenders in the field and bringing them to our shelter.

Animal control officer standing by truck

There are five Animal Control agencies in Wake County. The City of Raleigh and the towns of Cary, Garner and Holly Springs all provide Animal Control services through municipal animal control officers attached to the local police departments.  Wake County Animal Control provides services to the rest of the county as well as the unincorporated areas of Raleigh, Cary, Garner and Holly Springs. 

Animal Control Jurisdictions & Contact Information

Garner Animal Control: 919-831-6311

Holly Springs Animal Control: 919-557-9111

Raleigh Animal Control: 919-831-6311

Cary Animal Control: 919-319-4517

Wake County Animal Control: 919-856-6911

  • Wake County Animal Control responds to requests for service from citizens in the following locations: unincorporated Wake County, Apex,  Fuquay-Varina, Knightdale, Morrisville, Rolesville,  Wake Forest, Wendell and Zebulon. 
  • Wake County Animal Control does not have jurisdiction to enforce animal control laws in Raleigh, Cary, Garner or Holly Springs because each municipality has its own local ordinance.
  • Wake County does provide animal sheltering for the entire county at the Wake County Animal Center.

Citations & Payments

**Please pay citations within 10 days to avoid court proceedings.**

Mail check or money order made payable to:  Wake County Government, 820 Beacon Lake Drive, Raleigh, NC 27610, Attn: Accounting

Credit or debit card payment over the phone: 919-212-PETS (7387)

Public Records Request

Please Note: If you need a report from Raleigh Animal Control, Cary Animal Control, Holly Springs Animal Control or Garner Animal Control, please call them directly for assistance.  We cannot fill those requests. 

Wake County Animal Control Public Records Request