Immunizations & Vaccinations

Wake County Health & Human Services (WCHHS) gives state-required as well as recommended  Vaccines/Immunizations/Shots  for both children and adults. Immunizations are available at several locations: the Public Health Center in Raleigh and the Regional Centers in Raleigh, Fuquay-Varina, Wake Forest and Zebulon.


WCHHS also gives immunizations and counseling for people traveling outside of the United States. 

Large group of diverse people

Adolescent Immunizations

*New Immunization Requirement for Rising High School Seniors* 

North Carolina law now requires all rising 12th graders get a meningococcal vaccine booster before starting 12th grade. Parents will need to provide a copy of their child’s immunization record showing proof of the meningococcal vaccine before the first day of school in August. Don’t wait, vaccinate! 

Vaccines required for teens and tweens by North Carolina law include: 

  • Tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis (Tdap) 
  • Meningococcal (meningitis) 

More information on these two vaccines is listed in the next section. 

Vaccines recommended for adolescents who have not already had them or who have not completed the series are: 

  • Hepatitis A 
  • Human papillomavirus (HPV) 
  • Influenza (flu) – yearly 
  • Hepatitis B 
  • Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) 
  • Varicella (chickenpox) 

Check with your child's doctor to make sure that your child is up to date on all their vaccines. If your child does not have a doctor, please call one of the Health & Human Services locations listed at the bottom of this page make an appointment. Ask about vaccine charges and eligibility for special, lower-cost programs. 

For more information: 

Wondering which vaccines your child needs?  
Take the immunization quiz

Tdap and Meningococcal Vaccines for Adolescents

*New immunization requirement for rising high school seniors* 

North Carolina law now requires all rising 12th graders get a meningococcal vaccine booster before starting 12th grade. Parents will need to provide a copy of their child’s immunization record showing proof of the meningococcal vaccine before the first day of school in August. Don’t wait, vaccinate! 

North Carolina law states:   

  • all children entering the 7th grade must have a Tdap booster and one dose of meningococcal vaccine 
  • all children entering the 12th grade must have a booster dose of meningococcal vaccine 

Tdap vaccine protects against whooping cough (pertussis), tetanus and diphtheria. Childhood vaccines to protect against tetanus, diphtheria and whooping cough can wear off over time, so a booster is needed to stay protected. 

Meningococcal vaccine protects against four types of meningococcal disease, which can cause blood infections and meningitis. Meningitis is an infection of the fluid around the brain and spinal cord. 

Parents should: 

  • Talk to your child's doctor to find out if your child needs a Tdap booster or a meningococcal vaccine. 
  • Make sure your child gets their Tdap booster and meningococcal vaccine before your child starts 7th grade  
  • Make sure your rising high school senior gets their meningococcal vaccine booster before starting 12th grade. 
  • Get a copy of your child's shot record to provide to the school. 
  • Make sure your child is up to date on all their vaccines and their yearly checkup. 

If your child does not have a doctor, please call one of the Health & Human Services locations. 

For more information: 

Adult Immunizations

Adults need immunizations too!  Over time, protection from childhood vaccines can fade or you may need protection against new or different diseases.  Keeping up to date on your vaccines helps you stay healthy and helps protect those around you who may have a harder time fighting disease – such as young children, older adults and those with long term medical conditions. 

Immunizations for adults include: 

  • Influenza (flu) – yearly 
  • Chickenpox 
  • Meningococcal (meningitis) 
  • HAV (hepatitis A) 
  • HBV (hepatitis B) 
  • MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) 
  • Shingles (people over 50) 
  • PPV (pneumococcal) (people over 65 or with long term health problems) 
  • PCV13 (pneumococcal)  (people over 65 or with long term health problems) 
  • HPV (human papilloma virus)  (people under age 26) 
  • Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis) (everyone needs one dose and women need one dose each time they are pregnant) 

Which vaccines you may need depends on your health, lifestyle, work, travel and which vaccines you had as a child. Talk with your doctor about which vaccines you may need. If you do not have a doctor, you can call a Human Services immunization location to make an appointment. Ask about vaccine charges when you make your appointment. There is a charge for most adult vaccines. 

Wondering which vaccines you need?
Take the immunization quiz

Childhood Immunizations

WCHHS provides gives childhood immunizations required by the state of North Carolina, including: 

  • DTaP (diphtheria, tetanus, acellular pertussis), 
  • HBV (hepatitis B), 
  • Hib (haemophilus B), 
  • IPV (inactivated polio vaccine), 
  • PCV (Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine) 
  • MMR (measles, mumps, rubella), 
  • Var (chickenpox) 

Recommended childhood immunizations given by WCHHS include: 

  • HAV (hepatitis A) 
  • Rotavirus 
  • HPV (human papilloma virus) 
  • Influenza (flu) – yearly 

Keeping your child up to date on immunizations is good for their health. Check with your child's doctor if you are not sure if your child is up to date on their vaccines. If your child does not have a doctor, call one of the Health & Human Services  locations listed at the bottom of this page to make an appointment. Ask about vaccine charges and eligibility for special, lower cost programs. 

Flu Immunizations

Foreign Travel Immunizations (including information about yellow fever and cholera vaccines)

Clinic E of the Public Health Center  provides foreign travel immunizations and counseling for people traveling outside the U.S. by appointment only. There is a charge for foreign travel vaccinations. You can get a malaria prescription for an additional fee. Call for an appointment and costs. 

Public Health Center (Sunnybrook – Clinic E)

10 Sunnybrook Rd., Raleigh

Call 919-250-3900 to make an appointment. 


For recorded travel information call the Travel Information Line: 919-250-3885 

    Yellow Fever Vaccine

    The yellow fever vaccine used in the US (called YF-VAX®) was not available from mid-2017 to mid-2018. For over 30 years another yellow fever vaccine (Stamaril®), made by the same company (Sanofi Pasteur), has been used in over 70 countries. The FDA approved the use of Stamaril® in the US during the shortage for people traveling to a country where proof of yellow fever vaccination must be shown and countries at risk of yellow fever transmission (see list below) as well as for people who are at high risk for getting yellow fever (some researchers, laboratory workers, and people making yellow fever vaccine). 

    Wake County Human Services, Clinic E is one of 250 places across the US giving Stamaril® during the shortage. 

    To get yellow fever vaccine you must be: 

    • 9 months of age or older 
    • Traveling to one of the countries listed below within 30 days: 
    Angola Argentina Benin Bolivia
    Brazil Burundi Burkina Faso Cameroon
    Central African Rep. Chad Colombia Republic of the Congo
    Côte d'Ivoire Dem. Rep. of Congo Ecuador Equatorial Guinea
    Ethiopia French Guiana Gabon Gambia
    Ghana Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana
    Kenya Liberia Mali Mauritania
    Niger Nigeria Panama Paraguay
    Peru Senegal Sierra Leone South Sudan
    Sudan Suriname Togo Trinidad and Tobago
    Uganda Venezuela    


    People who may NOT get yellow fever vaccine

    • Children under 9 months of age 

    • Women who are breastfeeding, unless they are willing to stop for at least 14 days after getting Stamaril® 

    • People whose immune system is not working well 

    • People who are allergic any part of the vaccine 

    • People with thymus dysfunction 

    • People who are sick when they come in for their vaccine 

    To get yellow fever vaccine through Wake County Human Services you must: 

    • Call 919-250-3900 to make a travel appointment. 

    • You will be assessed for eligibility at that time. 

    • Read the appropriate Information and Consent Form 

    You can print the forms and bring them with you  to your appointment. Do not sign the forms until you are with the nurse who gives you your immunization. 

    Cholera Vaccine

    VAXCHORA (Cholera Vaccine) is now available in Clinic E of the Public Health Center! 
    What is Vaxchora? 
    Vaxchora is a new cholera vaccine recommended by the Centers for Disease Control for adults traveling to areas with active cholera transmission. Vaxchora prevents severe diarrhea caused by the most common type of cholera bacteria. Avoiding unsafe food and water and proper handwashing can also prevent many cholera infections. 

    Vaxchora is a live vaccine which can be shed in the stool (feces) for at least 7 days. Please ask about this if you live with a person who has a weakened immune system (like people with long-term illnesses, cancer, HIV/AIDS, or who take certain medications). 

    Who can get Vaxchora? 

    • People traveling to an area affected by cholera. The following countries have areas with cholera. However, it’s important to know that most cholera is spread in small outbreaks, and travelers are rarely at risk. 
      • Africa: Angola, Burundi, Chad, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya,  Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe  
      • Asia: Bangladesh, India, Yemen 
      • Americas: Haiti 
    •  People aged 18-64 
    •  Vaxchora must be given at least 10 days before the person might be exposed to cholera and before starting antimalarial medication that has chloroquine. 

    How do I get Vaxchora from Wake County Human Services? 

    • Call 919-250-3900 to make an appointment with the travel clinic. 
    • Do not eat or drink anything for 60 minutes before coming to the clinic. You will also not be able to eat or drink anything for 60 minutes after taking the vaccine. This helps the vaccine work better. 
    • Once you have gotten Vaxchora, be sure to take special care in washing your hands after using the bathroom for the next 2 weeks.

    More information about travel vaccines:


    Immigration Immunizations

    You must be seen by a civil surgeon before getting immunizations required for immigration. Immunizations for immigration purposes are offered by appointment only. Please ask  about the cost of vaccines when you make your appointment. For more information about immigration visit United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.  

    Educational Materials


    Public Health Center
    10 Sunnybrook Road
    Raleigh, NC 27610
    Call 919-250-3900 to make an appointment. 

    Adults and Children 
    Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:15 pm. Appointments strongly encouraged. 

    Eastern Regional Center
    1002 Dogwood Drive
    Zebulon, NC 27597 
    Call 919-404-3900 to make an appointment.  
    Northern Regional Center 
    350 E. Holding Ave. 
    Wake Forest, NC 27587 
    Call 919-562-6300 to make an appointment. 
    Southern Regional Center 
    130 N. Judd Parkway NE 
    Fuquay-Varina, NC 27526 
    Call 919-212-7000 to make an appointment. Ask for an appointment at Southern Regional Center.