Wake County Register of Deeds | Tammy Brunner

Apply for a Marriage License

North Carolina requires you to have a Marriage License before getting married. Many people overlook this step and run into major problems! Please remember: Before having your wedding ceremony, get a marriage license! We have the easy steps below!

Both parties must be present in person to apply for a marriage license. The cost is $60, and you’ll need a valid government-issued ID and proof of your social security number.

NO appointment is needed – you can walk in, any time between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. We now have two convenient locations (more are coming!):

Save time and fill out the Marriage License application online before you arrive. Or complete when you arrive on one of the computers on-site.

Marriage License Application Checklist

  1. The wedding ceremony must take place in North Carolina within 60 days of obtaining the marriage license.
  2. Applicants must have a valid government-issued ID. Click here to view a list of acceptable IDs.
  3. Applicants are required to provide proof of social security number. Click here to view a list of acceptable identification for proof of social security number. If either applicant has not been issued a social security number, an affidavit in lieu of social security can be completed – affidavits are completed electronically in our office.
  4. Click the ‘APPLY FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE’ button below and complete the online application.
    • Please make sure to submit the application upon completion. You DO NOT need to print out the application.
  5. Both parties must be present to obtain the marriage license.
  6. Bring the following items:
    • Proof of social security or ITIN number
    • Valid ID Certified birth record - for applicants ages 16-20
    • Certified copy of divorce – if finalized within the last 30 days
    • Payment ($60.00) - cash or credit cards accepted


Apply For a Marriage License


Wake County Magistrate Civil Marriages

Once you have your marriage license, a wedding ceremony in North Carolina can be performed by a magistrate or by any minister who is ordained in a religious denomination or authorized by a church. Marriages can also be performed in the recognized manner of any religious denomination that does not use officiants, or in the recognized manner of any federally or state-recognized Native American tribe.

If you’d like, you can have your ceremony just a few floors up from the Register of Deeds office in the Wake County Justice Center building. See information below on magistrate availability and location to conduct civil ceremonies. No appointments needed – just walk in! 

Wake County Justice Center
300 S. Salisbury St, Raleigh NC 27601
9th Floor – Room 901

  • No appointment required
  • Monday - Friday, 9:30 a.m. to noon; 1:30 to 4 p.m. 
  • $50.00 cash – exact change
  • Must bring two witnesses, 18 years of age or older