Wake County Register of Deeds | Tammy Brunner

Military Discharge DD214 Records

The Register of Deeds office records military separation documents known as a DD214 record.

Military discharges have restricted public access.

There is no charge to record or obtain a copy of a military discharge. Request forms are available at the Wake County Register of Deeds office or by contacting our office.

The service member must provide a government- issued ID to record or obtain certified copies of military discharges. However, N.C.G.S. § 47-113(2) allows authorized parties to record or request certified copies of recorded military discharges.

Authorized parties include:

  • Subject of the record
  • Widow or widower of deceased spouse
  • Agents and representatives of the subject authorized in writing by the subject
  • Authorized agents of Veterans Affairs
  • Authorized court official with an interest in assisting the subject
  • NC State Archives

Please call 919-856-5460 for more information or email rod.vital.records@wake.gov.