Gross Receipts Tax

A gross receipts account must be established, in addition to a property tax account, if a business provides Prepared Food and Beverage, Rental Vehicles, Lodging or Room Occupancy, or Heavy Equipment Rental. If the business sells or serves Malt Beverages or Wine, a Malt Beverage & Wine license must also be obtained.

All businesses must establish a property tax account with the Wake County Department of Tax Administration for the purpose of annual taxation.

The completion of a business listing form is required of all individuals, partnerships, corporations and associations who, on January 1, own, control or possess any amount of leasehold improvements or tangible personal property used or held for a business purpose. The listing period is from January 1 through January 31 each year.

For more information regarding business accounts, please call the Department of Tax Administration at 919-856-5400 or visit our
Business Property Information page.

In addition to establishing a property tax account with the County, you may be subject to the Gross Receipts tax or require a Malt Beverage & Wine License if your business provides any of the following:

Prepared Food and Beverage – This tax is applicable to all prepared food and beverages sold at retail for consumption, on or off the premises, by any retailer with sales in Wake County that are subject to sales tax imposed by the State under G.S. 105-164.4(a)(1). This tax is collected by the merchant, in addition to N.C. State Sales Tax, and is remitted to the County on a monthly basis.

Rental Vehicle –This refers to any rental vehicle that is offered at retail for short-term lease or rental and is owned or leased by an entity engaged in the business of leasing or renting vehicles to the general public.

Lodging/Room Occupancy tax is incurred from the rental of any room, lodging or accommodation furnished by a hotel, motel, inn, tourist camp or similar place within the County that is subject to the State sales tax imposed under Section 105-164.4(a)(3) of the North Carolina General Statutes.

Heavy Equipment Rental – This gross receipts tax is a substitute for the property tax on short-term leases or rentals of heavy equipment and is collected from any rental location situated within a Wake County municipality that has chosen to implement the tax.

Malt Beverage & Wine – A person holding a retail ABC permit for On-Premises or Off-Premises Malt or Wine must obtain a county Malt Beverage & Wine license for that activity. To apply for a county license, state and city permits must first be issued.

More questions?

For questions regarding Gross Receipts tax or Malt Beverage & Wine Licensing, call 919-856-5999 or select one of the links above.

Pay your Gross Receipts Tax Online

Once your account has been established, you may file and pay Gross Receipts Taxes Online.

Gross Receipts File & Pay Online