Convenience Center Trash Pass Program

If Wake County residents plan to transport waste to a convenience center using a box truck, dual-axle trailer or enclosed trailer, they must first apply for a free Trash Pass. Convenience centers operate thanks to a $20 fee paid annually by Wake County homeowners, and the extra step prevents illegal dumping by contractors, businesses and out-of-county residents.

PLAN AHEAD: Allow up to 2 BUSINESS DAYS for processing and approval. Note that requests are NOT reviewed on Saturdays and Sundays.

If you have time constraints, materials can be taken to the South Wake Landfill (for a fee) Monday–Saturday, 7 a.m.–4 p.m. The South Wake Landfill is located at 6300 Old Smithfield Road, Apex, NC 27539.

Wake County residents can use the button below to apply for a trash pass.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is the county limiting the use of box trucks, dual-axle trailers and enclosed trailers at Wake County Convenience Centers?

Wake County homeowners pay for the operation of convenience centers through a $20 per-year recycling fee. Since they do not pay for these facilities, contractors, businesses and out-of-county residents are forbidden from using them. Unfortunately, we have seen a recent increase in unauthorized use, which has increased costs and wait times for Wake County residents at many facilities.

Experience tells us that contractors, businesses and out-of-county residents are far more likely than homeowners to haul materials using box trucks, dual-axle trailers and enclosed trailers. To help curb this abuse, we now require Wake County residents to obtain a free Trash Pass to use one of these types of vehicles.

Do I need a Trash Pass? I own my home and I have construction waste from doing renovations. I'll be using a pickup truck or open single-axle trailer to haul to a convenience center.

NO. As a homeowner, you can use a pickup truck or open single-axle trailer at any time, without a pass, to deliver Construction and Demolition (C&D) waste to a convenience center. Please use sites 1, 2, 4, 7, 10 or 11 for C&D waste.

Do I need a Trash Pass? I own my home and I have construction waste from doing renovations. I'll be using a box truck, dual-axle trailer or enclosed trailer to bring my waste to a convenience center.

YES. Simply complete the questionnaire above or at this website. Based upon our confirmation that your work is for your residential purpose, we will issue you a seven-day pass to use a box truck, dual-axle trailer or enclosed trailer at one of our convenience centers. 

I’m a contractor. Can I get a Trash Pass to bring C&D materials to a convenience center?

NO. As stated above, our convenience centers are solely funded via a $20/year household fee that is paid by only Wake County homeowners and not by businesses. 


I’m a contractor. Do I need a Trash Pass to haul C&D waste using a pickup truck or single-axle trailer to a convenience center?

Contractors are NOT allowed to use our convenience centers REGARDLESS of the type of vehicle(s) they are using. 

I am a contractor and need to dispose of my C&D materials. Where can I go?

There are eight privately owned C&D facilities in Wake County. Call ahead to confirm operating days and hours. Note that private facilities charge a per-ton fee to dispose of these materials.

I am a contractor and need to get rid of regular trash – not just C&D materials. Where can I go?

Use the South Wake Landfill to dispose of these materials. There is a per-ton disposal fee.

Instead of the Trash Pass, why not use some type of sticker, or a pay-as-you-throw program to minimize abuse at convenience centers?

We evaluated numerous options for minimizing the impact of commercial abuse at our convenience centers. Ultimately, the cost to implement a sticker program to almost 400,000 households per year and/or the inconvenience to establish some type of paid system were considered unfavorable compared to simply eliminating the use of box trucks, dual-axle trailers and enclosed trailers.

Can I get a pass for longer than seven days?

No. You will need to apply for another pass for any time period longer than seven days. We apologize for this inconvenience, but this is another way to minimize commercial abuse of the system.